Tuesday, November 16, 2004

I Am Resigning to Devote Attention to a Personal Project, The Passage of a No Unfinished House Left Behind Act

November 5, 2004

The President
The White House
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

This letter comes to advise you of my desire to resign from the position of United States Secretary of Education effective at the end of your first Presidential term. It comes also to express my deepest appreciation to you for the opportunity to serve you and the nation in such an important position.

I am very proud of the many accomplishments achieved by the talented and committed men and women of the United States Department of Education. ...

[Yadda, yadda, yadda, I won the war on terror, waged against the National Teacher's Association. Yadda, yadda, yadda.]

...Although the aforementioned accomplishments represent but a sample of the achievements of the talented and committed members of your U.S. Department of Education, I believe they represent a solid foundation from which to launch new and invigorated leadership for the Department. I believe also that this is an appropriate time for me to return to Texas where I can devote attention to a personal project, which I began planning prior to assuming my present responsibilities. ...

Sincerely,
Rod Paige

According to the NYTimes, that personal project is remodeling his home.

Godspeed, tireless public servant. Godspeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home