Monday, December 13, 2004

"It's Okay, Doc. I Still Have One Finger Left. Let Me Show It to You"

When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's fing to save as much of his finger as they could.

"But that would mean destroying my wedding ring," he said. "My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone. I don't think I could ever repay her or show her how grateful...how much I love my wife, my soul mate."

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring.


If you're thinking, "'...somehow in the chaos that followed?!' What chaos?! Why would there be chaos?!" you've never spent any time in the military hospital system. Those of us who have read that story and thought, "Man, is he lucky. Usually, when they try to remove a finger, they take an eye, instead. And, then, they lose the wedding band. (They just like doing that: It's their thing.)"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home