Thursday, September 22, 2005

If I've Written a Note Like This Once, I've Written a Note Like This a Thousand Times

Dear Angela (such an appropriate name! Like the angels!)

I wanted to let you know that I had a wonderful time tonight, and I hope that you would like to go out again, despite our rather unfortunate parting. I also wanted to let you know that in your haste to leave the parking lot, you apparently scraped a curb and lost your hubcap. I went back to pick it up and can return it to you sometime over dinner.

I’d like to express my sincerest apologies for having imprudently exposed my “enthusiasm” for you outside the restaurant. Please know that this has nothing to do with the “long dry spell” I mentioned at dinner. It was your ineluctable charms that inspired my heartfelt response, and you should be pleased to know that you could easily make any man’s circus come to town....

Your scream, by the way, is positively lyrical
.


First, I thought the circus metaphor was the best part, but, now, I'm pretty sure it's that last line. You just can't beat great literature.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home