Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Cellblock Cafe - Inmate Recipes from across the Country!

In 1986, upon my arrival at the county jail, my cooking lessons began. There, I witnessed men using empty toothpaste tubes as spoons, and burning toilet paper to heat up coffee or reheat the food served. I was amazed the first time I saw a man using a metal dinner plate as a skillet to prepare grilled baloney and cheese sandwiches or using a radio antenna to broil hot dogs for an evening snack.

Eventually, I learned these 'tricks of the trade,' and added my own creations, such as shredded fried roast beef with ketchup and mustard or fried mashed potatoes in butter. Within a few months, I was nicknamed, 'Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee.' I soon realized that creating and sharing a tasty, nourishing meal was one of the few enjoyments prison life offered. Surprisingly, I began to experience another kind of nourishment, one of the soul.


No, that's not Martha Stewart writing, but I'm guessing if she were to invite him onto her show to make Frito Chili Pie together, it would be a ratings bonanza.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home