Thursday, February 02, 2006

New York City girl scores 113 points; Is Still Second Best

Epiphanny Prince was instructed to maintain her intensity on the court, despite the less-than-stellar opponent and apparent lack of a challenge. The 5-foot-9 high school senior scored 113 points for Murry Bergtraum High School in a 137-32 win over Brandeis High School, breaking a girls' national prep record previously held by Hall of Famer Cheryl Miller.

'I was telling some college coaches before the game that in the (Public School Athletic League) the competition isn't that great, and that I thought I might get bored,' Prince said. 'They told me to keep playing hard and doing my best.'

As the points began to accumulate at a Kobe Bryant-like pace, Prince recognized the rare opportunity at hand.

'After I scored 29 points in the first quarter, I didn't think much of it,' Prince told The Associated Press by phone Wednesday night. 'After I had 58 points at the half, and especially after having in the 80s after the third quarter, I just decided to go for it
.


Wow, one hundred thirteen points, that's something, but it's not the record. Don't get me wrong: that is the record for most points scored by a female in high school basketball game. It's a record; it's just not THE record.

"What is THE record?" you ask. Read on, down near the end of the article. There, you'll find this aside: "Two-time WNBA MVP Lisa Leslie scored 101 points in a half for Morningside High School in Inglewood, Calif., against South Torrance in 1990. South Torrance refused to play the second half." So -- Epiphany, is it? -- forgive me if I yawn through your little story about how you ran up the score to chase away your boredom. Until you bomb an opponent into submission with a triple-digit can of whup-ass, you're just another also-ran, because E., honey, scoring 101 points in a half and chasing the other team from the field of play, that's the record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home