Thursday, July 20, 2006

Handy and Useful Latin Phrases

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
The designated hitter rule has got to go.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
I think some people in togas are plotting against me.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!
May faulty logic undermine your entire philosophy!

Visne saltare? Viam Latam Fungosam scio.
Do you want to dance? I know the Funky Broadway.

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!
If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced, high-paying world of Latin!


You'd never know from this blog, but I went to the state championship in Latin translation when I was in high school. (That's probably why I find these so amusing.) Yep, I was a big nerd like that.

4 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

CREDO ELVEM IPSUM ETAIM VIVERE

7:12 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

FPN: Facessa Peracto suus Negotium, Tibi.

TCB: Taking Care of Business, Baby.

8:52 PM  
Blogger reenee said...

CONFACIMUS NAVEGEMUS!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

En Seattle?! Non: Est fria!

Not in Seattle. It's too cold.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home