Sunday, February 20, 2005

Tempest in a B Cup (or What's with All the Nipples This Weekend?)

When Erika Ross lifted her shirt and unsnapped her bra to nurse her newborn daughter last month in Dufferin Grove Park, she never expected that people across Canada, the United States and even Finland would end up weighing in on it.

But the innocent gesture unwittingly drew her and others in her community-minded Dufferin-and-Bloor neighbourhood into a passionate international debate on breastfeeding in public. During the past six weeks, moms and “lactivists” from around the world have weighed in, using e-mail and on-line message boards. There's also talk of activists across North America planning a rally in Toronto during World Breastfeeding Week this August, possibly at the park where the bra-haha began …

“… Having my breasts discussed worldwide at length is pretty disconcerting,” Ms. Ross says. Yet she stands by her rights. “I'm disappointed in a handful of people who have tried to reduce the incident to a simple case of hurt feelings.
Yes, my feelings were hurt. Rosa Parks probably had some hurt feelings too when she refused to sit in the back of the bus.”


I've heard of Rosa Parks. I studied Rosa Parks in school. She was an idol of mine. Lady, you are no Rosa Parks.

Frankly, I don't know how baring one's gummed nipple in public became a human rights issue, but I'd like to know. I bet it's a good story.

Me? I think it's more a matter of convenience than it is human rights, but then, I don't have to deal with engorged breasts that soak my shirt every time some kid yawns, either.

That said, Rosa Parks? Come on.

Try Al Sharpton.

2 Comments:

Blogger Circa Bellum said...

My adult A.D.D. won't let me do anymore than skim the article. Could you kindly just condense the part about Rosa Park's nipples for me. That sounds hot.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

Let's just say, some people did a lot &mdash a lot &mdash to bring about the end of Jim Crow in this country and leave it at that.

Okay, leave it at that after this: if the price of my liberty were seeing Rosa Parks's &mdash or, worse, Al Sharpton's &mdash nipples, I'd still be Colored and riding the back of the bus.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home