Thursday, November 02, 2006

I Sleep Soundly at Night because Knights of the Blue Light Like Marcus Barrett Are Out There Protecting Me

A Salt Lake City police officer is on paid administrative leave after allegedly beating up a Bosnian refugee. Marcus Barrett is accused of getting into a brawl with a man inside Golds Gym in West Valley City and later meeting the man in the parking lot outside.

The man called 9-1-1 after Barrett approached him in his patrol car demanding he get out of his own vehicle. The man, who we're identifying only as "Agim," refused. He told dispatchers he wanted to wait for other officers to arrive. . . .

Agim's attorney, Clark Newhall, says this resulted from a simple move on the basketball court. "He stole the ball from someone on the opposing team. The person on the opposing team assaulted team assaulted him because he apparently didn't like having the ball stolen from him. . . .

Newhall says the officer walked to the back of his police car and grabbed a shotgun. "He turned around and cocked the shotgun, aimed it at my client and told him to get out of the car he was a policeman and he was going to put my client under arrest. . . .

As the 9-1-1 tape goes on:

Man’s voice: "Do you know who I am?"

Agim: "I don't."

Man's voice: "See that (expletive) car right there?"

Agim: "Yea."

Man's voice: "What does that make me?"

Agim: "A cop."

Man's voice: "A police officer"


But Newhall says his client wasn't sure the man was a police officer. Agim wanted to wait for other officers to arrive. Still, on the 9-1-1 tape, the man proceeded to demand Agim get out of the car.

Man's voice: "Get out of the car right now. If you don't get out of the car right now I will put you under arrest . Now get out of the car right now.

Agim: "Hold on till the cops come I don't trust you. I don't trust you."

Man's voice: "Get out of the car right now."

Agim: "I don't trust you."


Barrett is now charged with four misdemeanor counts including assault, unlawful detention and disorderly conduct. An internal investigation is also being conducted by the Salt Lake City Police Department.


I'll say it. Fighting back tears , you're probably too emotional after reading that to say it, yourself. Go ahead and cry. I've got it: "He's a hero."

1 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

Know I know not to steal a basketball during a game.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home