Thursday, February 08, 2007

Anthony Bourdain Rates the Food Network Chefs


BOBBY FLAY: They seem to have noticed Bobby’s strong “negatives” among some viewer responses during focus groups--and decided to respond by subjecting poor Bobby to THROWDOWN; the object of which is to allow every web-fingered geek with a backyard grill--or half-mad muffin maker to proclaim, “I beat Bobby Flay at makin’ barbeque!” at the heart-warming end of show--before returning to tend their meth labs. . . .

RACHAEL [RAY]: Complain all you want. It’s like railing against the pounding surf. She only grows stronger and more powerful. Her ear-shattering tones louder and louder. We KNOW she can’t cook. She shrewdly tells us so. So...what is she selling us? Really? She’s selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough. She’s a friendly, familiar face who appears regularly on our screens to tell us that “Even your dumb, lazy ass can cook this!” Wallowing in your own crapulence on your Cheeto-littered couch you watch her and think, “Hell…I could do that. I ain’t gonna…but I could--if I wanted! Now where’s my damn jug a Diet Pepsi?” Where the saintly Julia Child sought to raise expectations, to enlighten us, make us better--teach us--and in fact, did, Rachael uses her strange and terrible powers to narcotize her public with her hypnotic mantra of Yummo and Evoo and Sammys. “You’re doing just fine. You don’t even have to chop an onion--you can buy it already chopped. Aspire to nothing…Just sit there. Have another Triscuit…Sleep….sleep….”

SANDRA LEE: Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see. This is simply irresponsible programming.


When I was convalescing from a chronic illness, I spent a lot of time watching and listening to the Food Network shows. They served as the white noise for my existence. When one of their top chefs came on, I focused. Educational and entertaining, they were Must-See TV.

Not anymore. Now, it's all crap.

By the way, Rachel Ray did a $40 a Day segment at a restaurant where I waited tables, during my grad school years. I can safely say without fear of contradiction, that had her production staff wrapped the filming a minute later, one of us would have killed her.

The woman is a ghoul.

2 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

I must lead a charmed life. I have never heard of these people.
Oh wait! I don't ever watch television!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Circa Bellum said...

oooh! Tell us more about Rachael! Dish out all the dirt!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home