Sunday, May 06, 2007

"Degrees of Blackness, Scales of Soul" I'm "Straight Black with a Shot of Hennessy"


At a party one night I had a fascinating conversation with a Brazilian professor, but as I recounted it to our hosts the next day I realized I didn't know the name of the man I had talked to. "Was he black or white?" they asked. My answer, which stunned me, was, "I don't remember."

Now, I am from Savannah, Ga. I had never in my life not noticed whether someone was black or white. I felt an overwhelming sense of exhilaration. It was possible, then, to see someone as just another person, regardless of color. I felt good about myself.

I was reminded of this the other day watching Barack Obama. I realized that when I look at him, I don't see a person of color. I see a really smart, appealing, thoughtful person. There is something about his manner that seems to demand that he be seen for who he is and not for what color he is. . . .

I recently took [a] trip . . . around the world, and everywhere I went, all that people wanted to know about was Obama. In every country, when people learned I was American, the questions were the same: Could a black man possibly be elected president of the United States? . . .

The doubts about Obama in this country are usually twofold: He's too young and he doesn't have the necessary experience. People tend to forget that in fact, if Obama were elected next year, he would be older than Teddy Roosevelt, Jack Kennedy and Bill Clinton were when they became president. . . .

The biggest problem that Obama has is this: We don't know who he is. Who are his people? Whom does he surround himself with? Whom does he listen to? Who gives him advice? He's so new to the national political scene that he hasn't had time to choose the team that would be with him in the White House. The more we see him in action, he's still just campaigning. He still has the quality of an unknown. And as attractive and likable as Obama is, we still need references, and so that there is no misunderstanding in this, we need white references.


What Sally Quinn is saying is, she needs assurances that you won't turn the White House into Big Momma's House.

A piece of advice: Make sure none of your references is from a chubby, white girl in a beret.

2 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

That video was hilarious!

11:04 PM  
Blogger LeeSee said...

White people's comments on race make me crazy, unless of course I agree with them.

White women's comments are always taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah, that video was funny.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home