Sunday, May 06, 2007

That Said, There's Something to Suffering in Silence


Scores of veterans across the country are getting lifetime checks from the government for gonorrhea, genital herpes and other venereal diseases they caught while in the ranks. . . .

In Washington, D.C., a veteran who served from 1962 to 1965, and for eight months in 1991, filed for benefits for the six condyloma acuminata, or anal warts, which medical dictionaries describe as sexually transmitted. The vet said the growths had bedeviled him since his service during the Persian Gulf War in Saudi Arabia and, despite treatment, always return.


"Bedeviled?" Yeah, I'll bet.

I'd offer a more scathing indictment of this policy, except I'm pretty sure the founding fathers of my hometown incorporated our little corner of the "bedeviled" world after Viet Nam with the money they got from their first disability checks.

Did I say "founding fathers?" I meant, founding heroes.

3 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

The number of veterans getting benefits for sexually transmitted diseases is unclear. Repeated requests to the Department of Veterans Affairs for that information went unanswered.

Perhaps they ought to send in Mike Wallace with a camera crew. He's still alive isn't he?

10:58 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

Yes, he's still alive, but he won't be if he tries taking a camera where the anal warts grow.

1:57 PM  
Blogger LeeSee said...

Anal warts?
I'm surprized anything can grow in the anal area unless it is something so gross I don't even want to know about it.

Actually I'm somewhat surprized you can collect disability for a disease that was/is voluntary.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home