Friday, October 15, 2004

That's My Story and I'm Sticking to It

The American Civil Liberties Union is defending six men who were arrested during one of President Bush's visits to Pennsylvania because they stripped down to thong underwear and formed a human pyramid to protest the Abu Ghraib prison scandal in Iraq.

The six were hauled away by police and charged with disorderly conduct on July 9, shortly after piling atop each other at the side of a road carrying Bush's motorcade in Lancaster County.

..."The First Amendment protects many types of speech," she said. "What the defendants did in this case was clearly protected by the First Amendment, even though some people found it offensive."

You'd think a pyramid would be the perfect medium for getting your message across to a former cheerleader, wouldn't you?

Anyway, I'm wearing my thong today in protest of this travesty of justice. Tomorrow, I'll be burning my thong in protest (a principled refusal to wear one of those things twice).

"Stay strong, my valiant, albeit uncomfortable brothers! I'm behind you."

2 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

While I support the cause, one would hope that a more male-suited alternative protest method, preferably one more comfortable than a thong, could be found? I wonder if it had occured to anyone that bargain bin lingerie was just as effective.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

For some protests, you want to feel pretty and naughty. Nothing in the bargain bin can help you there. For that you have to go thong, and for thongs, you have to go expensive: One should never scrimp on a piece of clothing that goes where that undergarmet does.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home