Tuesday, November 16, 2004

"I don't know. He seems like a decent man. Maybe, his advisors are screwed up."

When I was growing up, I dreamed of becoming president of the United States, getting involved in a lurid scandal, and being forced to resign one step ahead of the impeachment posse. Like those actors who practiced writing their Oscar-acceptance speeches, I use to write my resignation letter from time to time to motivate myself: "To save my family, friends, and supporters further embarrassment, ..." I dig them out and read them every now and then, to recall that sweet, young kid with stars in his eyes, who was told by his teachers he could do anything, and wanted to do that. Where did that kid go? [wistful sigh]

That's beside the point, which is this. I'm from a town called Fayetteville, in the great state of North Carolina. It's the kind of place where dreams go to die, ambition goes to fester, and everyone goes to sleep at night, praying for death's sweet, sweet release. It exists to suck the money out of the military base beside it and the will to live out of the troops that reside there. I know that. So here's the thing: if I were a disgraced former president out to build a library and social justice center, I wouldn't approve any drawings that resembled anything emblematic of that city, anything that depicted, say, a topless bar or a pawn shop or a check-cashing joint or an emergency room. "No. Thank you," I'd say to the misguided architect. "Try again."

So excuse me if I can't figure out why Bill Clinton gave the go-ahead to this:

The Clinton Presidential Center Posted by Hello

It looks like a mobile home, a tornado tossed into the trees.

Is this really the best way to introduce yourself to the next generations of Americans?

4 Comments:

Blogger Circa Bellum said...

Ya know, we can't figure it out either and we live here. A good friend of mine summed it up best when she said, "I thought, when I saw it, that I would love to be inside looking out."

The local joke is that it's a house trailer on stilts. However you look at it, it will be a good thing for Little Rock.

I'll be at the dedication, Thursday, so check me blog from time to time for updates, matey.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

That's a little surprising, C.B. Are you going for the historical significance, or are you going to see the other dignitaries sure to be in attendance? From what I gather from your blog, you're no Clinton fan. Why are attending the dedication?

6:44 PM  
Blogger Circa Bellum said...

One should never allow ones feelings for the man to cause them to miss a perfectly good party. I'm pretty sure that's what Miss Manners would say.

Though I've never held Mr. Clinton in high regard, even as governor, I still like what this is doing for my city and my state. I actually have a fairly extensive collection of Clinton memorabilia collected during the first campaign.

Besides, Mary Steenburgen will be there...

7:00 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

Very cool: I hope the party lives up to the occasion.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home