Thursday, June 16, 2005

Dude, Seriously, Run.

It was classic: She was anxious to get married. He didn't want to be pressured for the ring.

Liz Naiman and Rich Boardman met two years ago while teaching at a high school in Amherst, N.H. They planned to move in together at the start of the school year. But two weeks before the move Mr. Boardman, 28, dropped a bomb. He didn't want to go ahead with it. In fact he didn't know if he wanted to be with Ms. Naiman at all.

'He couldn't give me any answers as to why he had changed his mind,' Ms. Naiman, 27, recalled. 'He was completely shut down.'

Months of relationship limbo followed. Finally Mr. Boardman decided he wanted to stay together and to marry. Ms. Naiman put forth conditions: He had to write a letter of apology to her parents; he had to cut down on his 'frat-boy activities'; and he had to agree to go to couples therapy.



"Um, Honey," Mr. Boardman replied. "I have good news, and I have bad news: The good news is, I can finally articulate why I didn't want to marry you; the bad news is.... Well, really, it's only bad news if you still want to marry me. ..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home