Sunday, December 24, 2006

I'm Also Wondering What Makes Your Climb so "Amazing," because It Couldn't Be Ra__ -- Nah -- but That's a Rumination for Another Day


One Man's Amazing Climb to the A-list of G-men
At 49, Mike Mason is one of the nation's highest-ranking black FBI agents. For his entire life, Mason has been determined to not be defined by race. – Sari Horwitz


Reading about you for the first time in a series of articles entitled "Being a Black Man," I can't help but wonder, "How's that working out for you, Mike?"

3 Comments:

Blogger LeeSee said...

Since I am not a black man, I can hardly comment on this situation with any authority,(just opinions,) however that is the height of arrogance as you are well aware.

I often wonder how someone of my own ethnicity has risen to the top of their profession knowing what I know about racism, expectation and major league ass kissing.

Sometimes people do rise to the top on talent and skill, sometimes smart people are rewarded and paid what they are worth. You cannot say that is true where I work.

The contortions you might have to perform to get anything of value at work are worthy of the acrobats at the Circe de Soleil, I shit you not. Hence I don't belong to the circus.

Sigh.

4:22 PM  
Blogger reenee said...

Uh, did I miss something or did he just get defined as a black man?

9:58 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

Yep, he sure did.

I hope the irony isn't lost on him or the Washington Post, that this personal achievement is only newsworthy and his climb to a post occupied without fanfare by dozens of whites before him is amazing only because he's black. The fact that he has worked hard to become extraordinary at what he does pales in comparison.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home