Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Yikes! I Can See Why It's a Virgin Conception.


In an evolutionary twist, Flora the Komodo dragon has managed to become pregnant all on her own without any male help. She is carrying seven baby Komodo dragons. . . .

Other reptile species reproduce asexually in a process known as parthenogenesis. But Flora's virginal conception, and that of another Komodo dragon earlier this year at the London Zoo, are the first time it has been documented in a Komodo dragon.

"We were blown away when we realized what she'd done," said Kevin Buley, a reptile expert at Flora's home at the Chester Zoo in this town in northern England. "But we certainly won't be naming any of the hatchlings Jesus.

"Okay, okay," he didn't add, "If it'll get you insulted Christians off my back, we'll name the one who thinks he's better than everyone else Jesus. Happy?"

5 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

Jeeezus . . . I never knew that pushing out eggs was considered pregnancy.
I learn something every day here in Biffland.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

Whoops. Conception. My bad.

6:22 PM  
Blogger reenee said...

I still think you're interesting, and perhaps even smarter than Maria Cheng, the AP Medical Writer. Her first paragraph in the story has Flora carrying seven baby Komodo dragons.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

Interesting? Cool. I'll take what I can get.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Circa Bellum said...

you had me at "yikes."

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home