Thursday, November 18, 2004

"Insanity Runs in My Family. It Practically Gallops"

The American Film Institute is selecting the 100 best movie quotes of all time. Here, on their site, they've included a pdf with the 400 nominees from which they'll choose the winners. Feel free to check it out.

Frankly, the fact that they've included lines from Jerry Maquire casts the integrity of the whole project into doubt. I mean, I am shocked &mdash SHOCKED!! &mdash to find that instead of my favorite (and often paraphrased) line from Casablanca, as well as those from Raising Arizona, they've included "Show me the money!"

What can I say, it's a crazy world. Someone ought to sell tickets. (I'd buy one.)

Of course, if they ever want to do 100 speeches, I'd nominate these two from Pulp Fiction:

What now? Let me tell you what now. I'm'a call a couple of hard, pipe-swinging n*ggers, who'll go to work on homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talking, hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'm'a get medieval on your ass. ("I'm'a get medieval on your ass," now that I think about it, should've been included on the list.)


and

There's a passsage I got memorized, Ezekiel 25:17: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you." I've been sayin' that shit for years, and if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thougth it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this morning, made me think twice. Now, I'm thinking, it could mean your're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9mm, here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man, and I'm the shepherd, and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.
oh! and this from Caddyshack:

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over the Himalayas.A looper, you know, a caddy? a looper? a jock? So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. The twelfth son of the Lama: The flowing robes, the grace, bald &mdash striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one &mdash big hitter, the Lama, long &mdash into a ten-thousand-foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gung galunga...No, gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and the's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey! Lama! Hey! How about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" and he says, "Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousnes." So I got that going for me, which is nice-sh.


But since they're not in the running, I think I'll just pull for this one from The Diary of Anne Frank to make it: "In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." (I'm in a good mood today.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home