Monday, January 15, 2007

To Think, in Oregon, They're Fighting to Put an End to Black History Month (because "We Really Don't Have That Many Blacks to Teach Here")


"In a recent survey of college students on U.S. civic literacy, more than 81 percent knew that the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was expressing hope for 'racial justice and brotherhood' in his historic 'I Have a Dream' speech.

That's the good news.

Most of the rest surveyed thought King was advocating the abolition of slavery.


Well, it's something. I don't know how those college kids can explain his speech from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, captured on film and broadcast on television, if they believe he was part of the Abolition Movement, but at this point in race relations, I say, we take what we can get.

So Happy MLK day!

1 Comments:

Blogger reenee said...

I coordinate activities for seniors at an adult day care health center. I scheduled a speaker to come to our center today to discuss Rev. King and what he stood for. The questions from the audience told me that even some of those that belong to his generation, were not sure about what he did. . . and they lived through it, I thought.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home