Monday, November 27, 2006

"Football and NASCAR, The Dawin Award Cocktail: We Knew One Day, It Would Kill Him"

A South Carolina Gamecocks fan fatally shot a friend over a $20 bet on a weekend football game, authorities said.

James Walter Quick watched the South Carolina-Clemson game Saturday at his friend's house in Lexington, S.C., about 100 miles south of Charlotte. The Gamecocks came from behind and won, 31-28.

Quick celebrated.

But his friend, Clemson fan Richard Allen Johnson, said the Tigers shouldn't have lost and refused to pay, authorities said. So Quick left the house and retrieved a high-powered rifle from his Chevrolet Corsica.

"He went back in and told Richard, `I want my money or I'm going to shoot you,' " said Lexington County Sheriff James Metts, adding that both had been drinking beer.

Metts said Johnson's wife and several friends told police that Johnson then said: "You can't shoot me, I'm invisible."

And Quick replied, "No you're not."


Needless to say, this story doesn't end well for Richard Johnson.

On a related note, I'm not missing the South today.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeeSee said...

Perhaps the beginning of the end for Mr. Johnson was when he said "You can't shoot me, I'm invisible!"

Why push it when someone is pointing a gun at you?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Biff Loman said...

I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and say, as they so often do in the South, that he was "eat up with the dumb-ass."

I think that's why his family has reacted with such sang-froid. They've been expecting this since baby's first mullet.

6:12 PM  
Blogger reenee said...

I'd say that this is why stupid and liquor never mix well. It's all fun and games until someone gets shot.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home